First projects on our railway network were initiated in the Railway Construction Department established in the long past year of 1880 during the Principality of Serbia.
In the time of post-war reconstruction when development of traffic infrastructure has competed with electrification and construction of big industrial facilities in the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia, the Engineering Institute for railway design and supervision was established by the Ministry of Transport of the FPRY on 1 February 1948. The Institute went through several organizational changes in the period 1952. – 1960. and for some time it has operated as an independent business company out of the system of Yugoslav Railways (1952. – 1957.). Upon the Decision of the General Directorate of the Yugoslav Railways, the YR Authority for Studies, Design and Supervision was founded in 1958. Reorganization of Yugoslav Railways in 1961. resulted in transformation of the YR Authority for Studies, Design and Supervision into the Yugoslav Railways Engineering Institute.
At the same time when the Yugoslav Railway Engineering Institute has operated, the Design Office was founded by the Investment Department of the Belgrade Directorate for Railways in 1954. At the beginning of 1959, the Design Office was integrated into the Construction Department of the Belgrade Railway Transport Enterprise. In 1963 the Design Office has become the Office of Studies, Design and Supervision divided in four sectors: for studies, design, electrical engineering and supervision of construction works. Wishing to emphasize the importance of research work, the Office of Studies, Design and Supervision changed its name into the Research and Design Centre – CIP in 1974.
In the time of post-war reconstruction, Yugoslavia did not have any independent scientific and research institute to deal with traffic issues. Such scientific institution was founded on 5 June 1961. under the name of the Institute of Transportation. The founders were: Federal Transport Chamber, Community of Yugoslav Railways and Community of Yugoslav PTT (post, telegraph and telephone). The Institute of Transportation has passed through several phases of development and organization. In March 1969 . it was integrated with the Railway Institute and changed its name into the “Kirilo Savić” Institute. In 1983 the Department of Transport Economics dissociated from the “Kirilo Savić” Institute and became the Institute of Transport Economics, which was integrated into the Belgrade Railway Transport Enterprise in 1985. as Basic Organization of Associated Labour, and reassume the name of the Institute of Transportation.
The Yugoslav Railways Engineering Institute was integrated with the Research and Design Centre CIP on 1 July 1986. The associated organization held the same name – the Research and Design Centre CIP. The Research and Design Centre CIP was integrated with the Institute of Transportation on 1 July 1987. thus establishing the present Institute of Transportation CIP Ltd.